Chiesa di San Domenico Maggiore
Vicolo San Domenico Maggiore, 18
- Tel. +39 081 459298 - +39 081 459188
Built between 1283 and 1324 for will of the Angevine Charles II, the Dominican complex took over a pre-existing church of the X century. After the earthquakes of the XV century the church was restored many times, more radically in the Baroque epoch by Domenico Antonio Vaccaro that changed the former gothic shapes. The first entrance of the church was in vico San Domenico, but today the access is from the fifteenth century portal in correspondence of the apse that overlooks on the square. The inside has a latin-cross plan with three naves on gothic arches with side chapels. The floor dates back to the seventeenth century with geometrical patterns and marble stripes, made by Vaccaro. Between1850-1853 Federico Travaglini made more restorations and
changed the panelled ceiling, that substituted the first trussed wood roof, by repainting it and decorating it in gold. The interior of the church is full of paintings, among which works of Pietro Cavallini, Francesco Solimena and Tommaso De Vivo and many sculpture works among which the main altar made by Cosimo Fanzago. The rectangular Sagrestia, with marble floors and wood-carved sacred furniture, preserves 45 sepulchral coffins of noblemans of the Kingdom of Naples. The Sagrestia’s vault, decorated with stucchi and fringes, includes a fresco of Solimena (1709).
Open: MON-SUN: 9am-12am/3pm-7pm