Chiesa di S. Giovanni a Carbonara
Via Carbonara 5, 80139
- Tel. +39 081 295873
One of the most beautiful churches of Naples, it contains many precious sculptures. It was started in 1343 and was completed at the beginning of the XV century for will of the king Ladislao di Durazzo. Damaged from bombardments in 1943, it underwent restoration works for a long times in the XX century. It rises on top of a trachytic rock stairway with two ramps, a work of Ferdinando Sanfelice (1707). The very sober façade, presents a nice portal of gothic style, with the upper lunette frescoed by Leonardo da Besozzo. The interior, with one nave to which later some chapels were added, has a gothic plan with high wood trussed ceilings, presenting one opening to allow light to enter in the rectangular hall. Behind the main altar there is the famous sepulchral monument of king Ladislao (1414), 18m high and held up by caryatids resembling the 4 virtues. On top, in a niche under a pointed arch, there are statues of Ladislao e Giovanna on the throne, and next to them characters of Court and other Virtues. Down low, in the monument’s central part, there is the access point to the Cappella Caracciolo Del Sole. It has a circle plan, with precious majolica tile floors and fourteenth century frescoes on the walls, made by Perrinetto da Benevento and Leonardo da Besozzo. The Cappella Caracciolo di Vico, enclosed by 4 arches that alternate with Doric columns, has a lacunar ceiling and floors decorated with marble inlays; the Cappella Miroballo is enriched with precious sculptural decorations.
Open: MON-SAT: 9,30am-6pm